Tuesday, April 19, 2011

We're Off to See the Wizard

Tonight, Circus Dad and I are taking the kids to Australia.  It's kind of a once-in-a-lifetime type of adventure for most people...and I not completely sure the kids get how exciting it is to get to GO to Australia.  I'm also note completely sure that Trouble will even remember this trip when she gets older.

Nonetheless, the adventure is about to begin.

I have literally spent hours poring over internet travel websites and tourist advisors trying to come up with the best possible itinerary.  I need to balance the following factors:  The Husband's need for an actual holiday, complete with relaxation, waves lapping at his feet, cold beers and access to spa services; The Kids' need for entertainment, meaning actual planned activities or access to kid-oriented attractions; Proximity to the breeder, so we can meet and play with the puppy that we will be bringing home with us at the end of our holiday; Access to good restaurants, where kids are welcome...but not necessarily the target audience.  So.  Our itinerary follows:

Day One: Arrival in Brisbane, securing rental car (which might be an adventure...as I hired from a company called Andy's Autos...I fear it might be like Rocky's Autos in Colorado, and I know The Husband is just cringing at my frugality on this one), taking the "scenic" drive South along the Gold Coast to Broadbeach, checking into the hotel and relaxing for the remainder of the day at one of the pools at the resort.  Seeing how we are taking the red-eye...we are counting on the kids (and us!) sleeping on the flight, but accounting for the 3 hour time difference, we figure this might be a burger-by-the-pool kind of night.  We'll play it by ear.

Day Two: Sea World!!  It's walking distance from the hotel...tickets purchased in advance (thanks for the tip, Trip Advisor, I'd have been peeved waiting in a long line full of Aussie Autumn/Easter break revelers), and we plan on hitting every single attraction.  I just hope none of the whales, sharks, dolphins or penguins eat any other animal, spectator, or trainer.  Dinner at the Mirage.

Day Three: Beach!!  I've found a "beach walk/playground crawl" itinerary on a Australia tourism website that reccomends spots to sit and relax/play in the water/eat/drink and 7 playgrounds along the way.  I'm trying to mix dad's need to have his toes in the sand and a cold beer in his hand with the kids desire to be completely and utterly entertained.  I'm hoping this works.  And I get to read trash mags all day.  Oh yeah!  Dinner at a lively Mexican restaurant...I'll report back.  I don't have high hopes for Mexican in Australia...but it HAS to be better than the Mexican in Switzerland.

Day Four: Carrumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.  This is the day when my kids will meet live Kangaroos (just hopping around!  Feed them by hand!  No lie...I have a scar on the middle finger of my right hand from an overzealous Kangaroo who wasn't willing to wait for the handful of Kanga-treats I had back in 1994), hold a Koala (maybe...those little dudes look vicious), run from an Emu, and witness other strange Down Under wildlife like the Platypus and the Wallaby.  I'm hopeful that this will keep them more entertained than a typical zoo.  I'm excited...but if this is anything like our Thailand attempt to meet live elephants....I'm going to be the only memeber of the family that wants to participate.  So...I'm cautiously excited).

Day Five: Easter Brunch at Conrad Jupiter's.  This is my attempt to acknowledge Easter...which both girls seem keen on...feed The Husband and throw back a bunch of champagne)  This will be followed by a trip to the Dog Showgrounds just North of Brisbane where the breeder will be showing and we will get to meet for the first time our new little man, Aussie.  I've allowed the entire afternoon for this activity.  I suspect the kids will be devastated when we have to leave him again!!

Day Six: Drama's Actual 7th Birthday.  As such, she will get to choose what we do.  There are 3 other amusement parks in the area, a number of beaches, a water park and the beach.  The world is literally this little girl's oyster for a day.  Dinner will probably be something horrifying like McDonalds.

Day Seven: Beach/Check out and then commute to the airport for departure.

So, there you have it.  Hopefully a nice mix of full-on excitment with laid-back relaxation.  We'll pepper that with cocktails, kangaroo kibble and some photo ops, and I'm hoping it makes for a really nice holiday.  If not, I'm putting the kids on Ebay.  Ungrateful little turds.

No comments:

Post a Comment